Thursday, June 2, 2016

​Trying to put the brakes on road rage

Okay. Let’s talk about road rage.
It’s easy to blame the person who allowed themselves to be overcome with their own anger, for losing self control and giving in to rage.

But when the road is crowded with inconsiderate assholes, and people who shouldn’t be allowed to operate a can opener are driving around believing that their driving skills are adequate and it doesn’t matter anyway because their airbags will protect them as long as they don’t ever exceed the speed limit by even 1 mph… It can be downright INFURIATING to drive anywhere anymore. Around here, there’s a near inevitability of running into at least one moron on every drive.

Is it worse when you’re running late? Sure it is. But even when you have plenty of time, getting stuck behind someone who delays or obstructs your passage due to their own ignorance of both the rules of the road and common courtesy, is hugely aggravating. Why?

Well for me, it’s simple. Driving is a privilege and more importantly, a skill that you must work on to constantly develop and maintain. I take pride in my driving skills, and each time I get behind the wheel I try to improve my skills. Like so many things, the more you do it the better you get. Practice makes perfect.

Causing the car behind me unnecessary delays because of my ignorance or lack of driving skill is UNTHINKABLE to me. It’s rude first of all. That guy has the right to get where he’s going. If he wants to break the speed limit, that’s his problem…as long as he does it safely. I’ll do my best to let him pass if he wants to. I’ll even let my foot up on the gas. Secondly, I’ve been driving for nearly 40 years…I take pride in my experience and work hard on every drive for flawlessness. IF I happen to do something stupid…and I assure you that it happens way more often than I would like…I at least make sure I NOTICE and apologize. It happens. Everyone makes mistakes. But I’ll stop driving LONG BEFORE it starts happening all the time, and I become a constant nuisance and danger to everyone else on the road…I’ll stop driving.

But apparently, most people on the road have no such attitude. If they are paying attention to other drivers at all, people are poorly trained and seemingly no desire to improve. They got their license on the 3rd try when they were 17, and now they think it’s their right to drive like the inconsiderati. Most of them are barely paying attention to the road…texting, talking on cell phones…

Distracted driving laws should be unnecessary. People should take enough pride in their driving skills so as to make sure they are in full control of their vehicle at all times. If you choose to operate your vehicle with a cheeseburger in one hand, a cell phone and an eCig in the other, you better damn well be able to handle it…and when I’m behind you, I shouldn’t be able to tell by how you are driving.. Otherwise, DON’T FUCKING DO IT. There is simply no substitute for common sense behind the wheel.

While we’re at it…while slightly off topic…Driver’s licenses should be more like license for aircraft. Until you have a Winter driving certification, you should stay the fuck off the snowy roads. If you are afraid for your life while merging onto the highway, you should never be able to get your Expressway certification. Can’t see at night? You fail your night certification and can only drive during daylight hours. Want to drive a Supercar? Get your Supercar certification and stop worrying about tickets for those pesky highway speed limits (school zones and residential areas exempted, of course).

That’s right…instead of trying to make money by taxing speeders, how about making money thru fees for an expanded certification program that actually trains people and actually makes the roads safer?

Just sayin’…but I’m sure that would make too much sense.
~j http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trying-to-put-the-brakes-on-road-rage/ With fatal road rage incidents are up more than 30% since 2010, experts discuss why drivers become so heated and emotional while behind the wheel




from WordPress https://jamiegraymusic.wordpress.com/2016/06/02/%e2%80%8btrying-to-put-the-brakes-on-road-rage/

No comments:

Post a Comment